He has been a faculty at IIM Ahmedabad since 1985. He is Dean (Faculty), IIMA from September, 2013. He was the Vice Chancellor of the Indian Maritime University from July 2012 to March 2013. He was the Indian Railways Chair Professor from January 2008 to August 2010.
He specializes in infrastructure and transport systems and logistics and supply chain management. He conducts research on the railway, port, shipping, aviation and road sectors. He has published over 30 refereed papers in journals and written over 150 case studies. He is currently publishing his sixth coauthored book. He was awarded (i) ‘Academician of the Year’ by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in 2012 and (ii) ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for contribution to logistics and infrastructure by EXIM News in 2014.
He is a Fellow of the Operational Research Society of India, and Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport. He has teaching experience at universities in India, USA, Canada, Yugoslavia, Singapore, Tanzania and UAE.
He has offered consultancy services to over 100 organizations including multilateral agencies. He is on the board of eight companies in the fields of infrastructure and logistics. He has served on various government policy making and advisory committees for the Ministry of Railways, Ministry of Shipping, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Planning Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, and the Cabinet Secretariat.
Raghuram has a BTech degree from IIT, Madras; a postgraduate diploma in management from IIM, Ahmedabad; and a PhD from Northwestern University, USA.
- Dean (Faculty), Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, September 2013 -
- Professor, Public Systems Group, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, April 2013 -
- Vice Chancellor, Indian Maritime University, Chennai, July 2012 – March 2013.
- Indian Railways Chair Professor, January 2008 - August 2010
- Professor, Public Systems Group, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, July 1992 - July 2012.
- Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, January 1989 - June 1992, and Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, October 1985 - December 1988
- Assistant Professor, AB Freeman School of Business, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, July 1983 - September 1985
- Lecturer, Kellogg Graduate School of Management, and Division of Continuing Education, Northwestern University, Illinois, USA, September 1982 - June 1983
- Research Associate, Public Systems Group, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India, April 1978 - August 1979
- International Study Visits (Shipping and Logistics), 1988, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Visiting Professor, NUS Business School, National University of Singapore, September 2002
- Visiting Professor, Maine Maritime Academy, USA, 1996
- Visiting Professor, AB Freeman School of Business, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991
- Visiting Research Scholar, School of Business, Queens University, Kingston, Canada, 1984
- Visiting Research Scholar, Center for Research in Transportation, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada, 1983
- Infrastructure and Transportation Systems
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management